Link to this page: http://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/684/12725
Youth March For Jobs
Youth Fight for Jobs :: March for Jobs :: Jarrow to London :: October 2011
75 years ago 200 unemployed men from Jarrow marched from their home in the North East to London to demand jobs and an end to their poverty conditions.
This October Youth Fight for Jobs is marching their route again to demand:
- A massive government scheme to create jobs which are socially useful and apprenticeships which offer guaranteed jobs at the end - both paying at least the minimum wage, with no youth exemptions.
- The immediate reinstatement of EMA payments, expanding them to be available to all 16-19 year olds.
- The immediate re-opening of all youth services that have been closed, including reinstating sacked staff.
- The scrapping of 'workfare' schemes - benefits should be based on need not forced slave labour.
- A massive building programme of environmentally sound, cheap social housing.
To get involved with the march see the website www.jarrowmarch11.com
email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8558 7947
In The Socialist 7 September 2011:
Action to defeat the cuts!
The Socialist editorial
Socialist Party news and analysis
Socialist Party feature
Socialist Party reports and campaigns
Socialist Party workplace news
Socialist Party youth and students
Socialist Party review
International socialist news and analysis