Link to this page: http://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/466/1843
Trident - a waste of our money
TONY BLAIR is trying to bulldoze through parliament the replacement of Britain's nuclear weapons system Trident. This could cost £25 billion. In fact the real figure may be nearer £76 billion if you include the cost of getting new missiles, replacing old nuclear submarines, and running and maintaining the new system over its 30-year lifespan.
- Even if it's 'only' £25 billion, this cash could be put to fruitful use.
- Employing 120,000 newly qualified nurses every year for the next ten years. This year almost three-quarters of newly qualified nurses were still looking for a permanent job months after graduating!
- Scrapping student top-up fees for the next decade.
- Paying for 100,000 extra firefighters every year for the next ten years.
- Helping to protect 900 million acres of vital rain forest.
- Paying the NHS's huge bill, mainly from private drug companies, for therapeutic drugs dispensed in England during the whole of 2005, three times over. And they'd still have £1 billion spare.
As Tommy Sheridan MSP said at the Socialism 2006 event: "We need a referendum - do you want £76 billion spent on pensions, healthcare, education, or do you want £76 billion spent on Trident's replacement? Scrap Trident, invest in wages, schools and hospitals instead of weapons of mass destruction."
In The Socialist 7 December 2006:
War and terrorism
Socialist Party news and analysis
International socialist news and analysis