Link to this page: http://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/471/1996
A socialist programme for the NHS
- Bring the NHS into public ownership. Rebuild it as a publicly funded service, free at the point of use, with immediate cash to end the underfunding crisis.
- Bring all trusts and foundation hospitals into a democratically run NHS. Representatives of NHS workers, trade unions and health service users should make decisions about how the NHS is run and what its priorities are.
- A living wage and good working conditions for all NHS workers.
- Abolish the internal market. Abandon the Private Finance Initiative. All new hospitals to be built with public funding, not for private profit.
- Nationalise the pharmaceutical industry under democratic working-class control and management.
- A socialist programme to eliminate poverty - the biggest killer and cause of ill-health.
In The Socialist 25 January 2007:
War and terrorism
Socialist Party news and analysis
Workplace news and analysis
Socialist Party NHS campaign
Socialist Party Marxist analysis
International socialist news and analysis