Link to this page: http://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/507/3334
The Socialist Party says:
- Not one more penny of public money to go to big business profiteering out of the NHS.
- End and reverse privatisation.
- Medical advice, treatment, investigations, management, administration, cleaning, catering and all other health services should not be run for profit.
- For all NHS services and buildings to be under public ownership.
- Rebuild the NHS as a publicly funded service free at the point of use.
- Abandon the Private Finance Initiative (PFI). No more profiteering from the NHS by building companies and banks. All new hospitals to be built with public funding and employment, not using private construction companies.
- Take private hospitals, clinics and Independent Sector Treatment Centres into public ownership and integrate their services with the NHS.
- Compensation to be paid only on the basis of proven need.
- Restore the NHS as a service - abolish the business competition of internal market, trusts, and 'payment by results'.
- Local health services should be run and planned by democratic committees that include representatives of NHS workers and the local community. The NHS should be run and planned nationally by health workers and a government that puts health before private profit.
- Cancel the debts.
- Inject immediate cash into the NHS to end the crisis of under-funding.
- Stop the job losses and pay health workers an above-inflation pay increase.
- Nationalise the pharmaceutical and medical supply industries under working-class control and management to end the massive subsidy these parasites drain from the NHS. Integrate these services into a democratically controlled NHS. Compensation to be paid only on the basis of proven need.Plan their resources to provide needed treatments.
- A socialist programme to end poverty and inequality - the biggest killers and causes of ill-health.
- For a mass campaign to defend the NHS and other public services!
In The Socialist 25 October 2007:
Campaign for a New Workers Party
Socialist Party feature
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party women
Socialist Party news and analysis
Workplace news and analysis