Reports and Campaigns
The state keywords:
Reports and campaigns:
Jobstown Not Guilty: defend the right to protest
Unite the Union general secretary Len McCluskey (left) gives his backing to the 'Jobstown Not Guilty' campaign.
The Irish state plans to try 18 peaceful protesters for 'false imprisonment' of Labour former deputy premier Joan Burton. They were part of a sit-down protest and slow march around Burton's car during the successful campaign against water charges in Ireland.
The establishment wants to criminalise protest and take vengeance against the movement's leadership, especially Socialist Party Ireland. Paul Murphy (right), a member of Ireland's parliament and the Socialist Party, could lose office if convicted.
Join the list of supporters! Email your name, address and postcode, plus any workers' movement position, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As well as Len, the latest supporters of Jobstown Not Guilty include:
- Noam Chomsky, academic and activist
- Jean-Luc Mélenchon, French presidential candidate of the left
- Yanis Varoufakis, former Greek finance minister
- Angela Davis, US civil rights campaigner
- Jason Manford, comedian
- Sean Hoyle, president of transport union RMT
- Ian Hodson, president of food workers' union BFAWU
- Chris Baugh, assistant general secretary of civil servants' union PCS
- John McInally, vice-president of civil servants' union PCS
- Luis Mesina, general secretary of the Chilean bank workers' trade union confederation
- Miguel Urbán Crespo, Podemos MEP, Spain
- Tassia Christodoulopoulou, Syriza MP and vice-chair of the Greek parliament
- Dimitrios Papadimoulis, Syriza MEP and vice-president of the European parliament
- Catarina Martins, parliamentary leader of the Left Bloc, Portugal
- National executive committee of Die Linke, German left party
- Executive committee of the Party of the European Left
- Ertuğrul Kürkçü, People's Democratic Party MP, Turkey
- "Long Hair" Leung Kwok-hung, member of the Hong Kong legislative council
- Ged Grebby, chief executive of Show Racism the Red Card
- Eamon Dunphy, Irish journalist
- Meena Kandasamy, novelist and poet
- K Satchidanandan, Indian writer
- MPs and MEPs from Belgium, Cyprus, France, Ireland, Greece, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany, Denmark, Finland, Brazil, Turkey, Israel, Romania, Hong Kong and more
- Trade unionists from across Ireland, Britain and elsewhere...