Link to this page: http://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1009/27923
The Socialist 12 September 2018 |
Join the Socialist
| Audio | PDF | ebook
Them & Us
Them and us fishes (Click to enlarge)
- The world's population of bosses worth over $30 million rose by about 30,000 last year, thanks to the casino stock markets. The 255,810 capitalists are now worth a total $31.5 trillion, says research firm Wealth-X.
- Super-rich overseas parents bought 2,162 UK houses worth a total £2 billion in the year to May - to get their kids into top private schools and elite unis. The figure's up from £1.65 billion last year, says estate agent Frank Knight.
- The number of UK bosses 'earning' over £1 million has jumped 3,700 in the last year - to 18,700, says HM Revenue and Customs.
- Planning an autumn break? How about a dining tour of Spain by private jet - just £6,995 a head, says the Financial Times. Or if you're more into staycations, an antique 1950s gilt-bronze drinks trolley will give you that five-star feeling for only £2,900.
Take the wealth off the 1%: nationalise the banks, photo Paul Mattsson (Click to enlarge)
... and us
- Polluted air causes a "huge" decrease in brain power, says the Yale School of Public Health. Fully 95% of the world's population now breathes unsafe air, according to the Health Effects Institute.
- Women in the UK now have a life expectancy at birth which is seven months less than the EU average, says Public Health England. And they can expect to live in poor health for a total of 19 years and four months, says the Office for National Statistics.
- For the first time, the number of desperate refugees stranded on Greek islands - by the EU and capitalist governments - has topped 20,000, says Greece's Ministry of the Interior.
- Over a million disabled people have now had their benefits docked, says thinktank Demos. Unemployed workers are 53% more likely to face sanctions if disabled.