Link to this page: http://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1013/28068
The Socialist 10 October 2018 |
Join the Socialist
| Audio | PDF | ebook
Them & Us
- Misogynist Brett Kavanaugh is now a US Supreme Court judge - despite facing multiple allegations of sexual assault, and crying, screaming and extolling the virtues of beer in the job interview. All it takes is a private school and Yale education, and a career attacking women and workers from the bench.
- Sprucing up your front room this autumn? How about a black-and-white chair covered with an unpublished avant-garde line drawing by graphic artist Max Huber? Just £3,750.
- With at least 4,000 bosses now worth over $20 million, personal wealth in India is on course to exceed Switzerland and Hong Kong by 2022, says Boston Consulting Group. 732 million people in India don't even have a toilet, according to WaterAid.
Sexist, anti-worker bully Brett Kavanaugh (Click to enlarge)
... & us
- Families will lose out on £200 a month due to 'universal credit' welfare 'reforms', according to a Tory cabinet briefing. Labour shadow chancellor John McDonnell has at last said that "pause and fix" is not enough. Scrap universal credit!
- Before the 2007-08 Great Recession, real wages doubled every 29 years on average. Now they'll take 97 years to double, says the Resolution Foundation.
- A minimum of 449 homeless people died last year while on the streets, sofa surfing, or in emergency accommodation, says the Bureau of Investigative Journalism.
- Greece's death rate soared by 17.6% in the six years following crucifying EU-enforced austerity in 2010, writes Larry Elliott in the Guardian.