Link to this page: http://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1079/30483
The Socialist 25 March 2020 |
Join the Socialist
| Audio | PDF | ebook
Transport union RMT demands action for coronavirus tube safety
photo Petr Kratochvil (Creative Commons) (Click to enlarge)
RMT union members have shown a huge commitment to keep the tube running, in spite of the obvious risk to tube workers who are working.
We have made some progress. Cleaners working for contractor ABM are getting full sick pay if isolating or sick with coronavirus. But London Underground, the London mayor and government have failed to deal with the key issues confronting members at work.
- London Underground must reduce usage now.
It is ridiculous to have people being fined for congregating in groups of more than two while, at the same time, stuffing hundreds into a tube carriage where people struggle to maintain two inches of social distancing, let alone two metres.
- The government must shut down construction sites and guarantee pay of all self-employed and gig economy workers.
We know that crowding is mainly affecting services early in the morning from areas with high numbers of self-employed and gig economy workers.
- Agreed enhanced-cleaning plans must be put into action now.
- Station staff must be told to work behind glass and only work in public areas when essential for safety reasons.
- All non-essential maintenance must be cancelled.
- Transport for London must guarantee pay of all self-employed workers in its orbit.
RMT will tell London Underground that without these measures being agreed and implemented immediately we will be unable to advise our members that we consider it safe to come to work.
Extract from RMT union statement
- Socialist Party member and tube station worker Jared Wood is the RMT union's executive committee member representing London transport. Jared has been central to putting forward demands to keep transport workers and passengers safe, and proposing action to achieve this.