Link to this page: http://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/477/2150
The Socialist 8 March 2007 |
Join the Socialist
Uniting the battle against cuts and privatisation
MANCHESTER UNITY Stewards and Activists Group (MUST) is being set up to fight for cross-service unity and action over pay, cuts, single status, privatisation and pensions.
Jim Cessford, a UNISON senior steward for the Manchester local government branch spoke to the socialist: "Myself and a few other activists and stewards got together recently to discuss looming attacks on conditions and services.
"We unanimously agreed that it is vital that we work to link together UNISON stewards and activists across Manchester, to give members in every workplace the confidence to fight back in the face of the New Labour onslaught.
"The initial demands we've agreed to campaign on are that UNISON:
- MUST Campaign for genuine single status - no pay cuts.
- MUST Build for action to achieve the full pay claim.
- MUST Call for united action on pensions.
- MUST Stop funding New Labour.
- MUST Build a strong shop-stewards movement in every workplace.
- MUST Fight further privatisation of public services.
- MUST Fight for proper investment in public services - stop wasting money and lives in Iraq and Afghanistan.
MUST fully involve members and stewards at every level in service reviews."
- MUST launch meeting - Monday 12 March, 7pm, Friends Meeting House, Mount St, Manchester.