Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/466/1843
From The Socialist newspaper, 7 December 2006
Trident - a waste of our money
TONY BLAIR is trying to bulldoze through parliament the replacement of Britain's nuclear weapons system Trident. This could cost £25 billion. In fact the real figure may be nearer £76 billion if you include the cost of getting new missiles, replacing old nuclear submarines, and running and maintaining the new system over its 30-year lifespan.
- Even if it's 'only' £25 billion, this cash could be put to fruitful use.
- Employing 120,000 newly qualified nurses every year for the next ten years. This year almost three-quarters of newly qualified nurses were still looking for a permanent job months after graduating!
- Scrapping student top-up fees for the next decade.
- Paying for 100,000 extra firefighters every year for the next ten years.
- Helping to protect 900 million acres of vital rain forest.
- Paying the NHS's huge bill, mainly from private drug companies, for therapeutic drugs dispensed in England during the whole of 2005, three times over. And they'd still have £1 billion spare.
As Tommy Sheridan MSP said at the Socialism 2006 event: "We need a referendum - do you want £76 billion spent on pensions, healthcare, education, or do you want £76 billion spent on Trident's replacement? Scrap Trident, invest in wages, schools and hospitals instead of weapons of mass destruction."
Why not click here to join the Socialist Party, or click here to donate to the Socialist Party.
In The Socialist 7 December 2006:
NHS campaigns unite
Blair's health service lies
NHS mass protests continue
Building the national day of action
ITC programme fails
Diary of events
War and terrorism
Bush and Blair still in denial
"The greatest strategic disaster in American history"
Strike threat forces victory
300,000 workers in PCS strike Ballot
"Merry Christmas Mr SCCrooge"
Blood service staff prepared to fight job losses
UCU: Left victory in sight
JJB workers fight sackings
"Stop the rent rises!"
Campaign to Defeat Fees is building across London
CDF online petition launched!
Fight Blair's divisive academy programme
Britain's Muslims under siege - which way forward?
"Inspired and informed"
Do you have to be red to be green?
Socialism 2006 - another major step forward
Socialist Party news and analysis
200 march against Lincoln's far right
Trident - a waste of our money
Privatised rail bosses hike up fares
MPs wannabe rich
International socialist news and analysis
Chávez re-election - a set-back for the right
Balance sheet of WASG national conference
Political tensions rage in Bolivia
The Socialist 7 December 2006 |
Join the Socialist
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 0798 202 1969
East Mids: 0773 797 8057
London: 020 8988 8786
North East: 0191 421 6230
North West 07769 611 320
South East: 020 8988 8777
South West: 07759 796 478
Southern: 07833 681910
Wales: 07935 391 947
West Mids: 02476 555 620
Yorkshire: 0114 264 6551