Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1009/27923
From The Socialist newspaper, 12 September 2018
Them & Us
Them and us fishes (Click to enlarge)
- The world's population of bosses worth over $30 million rose by about 30,000 last year, thanks to the casino stock markets. The 255,810 capitalists are now worth a total $31.5 trillion, says research firm Wealth-X.
- Super-rich overseas parents bought 2,162 UK houses worth a total £2 billion in the year to May - to get their kids into top private schools and elite unis. The figure's up from £1.65 billion last year, says estate agent Frank Knight.
- The number of UK bosses 'earning' over £1 million has jumped 3,700 in the last year - to 18,700, says HM Revenue and Customs.
- Planning an autumn break? How about a dining tour of Spain by private jet - just £6,995 a head, says the Financial Times. Or if you're more into staycations, an antique 1950s gilt-bronze drinks trolley will give you that five-star feeling for only £2,900.
Take the wealth off the 1%: nationalise the banks, photo Paul Mattsson (Click to enlarge)
... and us
- Polluted air causes a "huge" decrease in brain power, says the Yale School of Public Health. Fully 95% of the world's population now breathes unsafe air, according to the Health Effects Institute.
- Women in the UK now have a life expectancy at birth which is seven months less than the EU average, says Public Health England. And they can expect to live in poor health for a total of 19 years and four months, says the Office for National Statistics.
- For the first time, the number of desperate refugees stranded on Greek islands - by the EU and capitalist governments - has topped 20,000, says Greece's Ministry of the Interior.
- Over a million disabled people have now had their benefits docked, says thinktank Demos. Unemployed workers are 53% more likely to face sanctions if disabled.
Why not click here to join the Socialist Party, or click here to donate to the Socialist Party.
In The Socialist 12 September 2018:
What we think
Corbyn must lead in fight against the Blairites
Tories in chaos - general election now!
Enfield North Labour Party votes 'no confidence' in its MP
4m children in homes that can't afford fruit and veg
Fearful bosses call for 'fairer capitalism'...
School students in solitary: for full funding, not exclusion!
Them & Us
10 years since the financial crash - the socialist answer to capitalist crisis
NSSN rally: militant trade unionists share ideas to win for workers
TUC congress Brexit debate: unions must lead fight for a general election
Guards move closer to beating driver-only operation on Merseyrail giving confidence to other strikes
Cardiff Uber Eats couriers strike back against bosses
Workplace news in brief
International socialist news and analysis
Nicaragua: With the people against the Ortega government and imperialism
Support for Putin's regime dips over major attacks on state pensions
Sweden: left and far right gain as establishment parties falter
Ireland housing occupations
Socialist Party reports and campaigns
Catford campaign against regeneration
Students unite and fight - free education now!
Reading council plans privatisation - set a no-cuts budget instead!
EDL outnumbered and confronted in Worcester
Fight against billionaire Newcastle boss Mike Ashley continues
When working class women dominated football
The Socialist inbox
The Socialist 12 September 2018 |
Join the Socialist
| Audio | PDF | ebook
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 0798 202 1969
East Mids: 0773 797 8057
London: 020 8988 8786
North East: 0784 114 4890
North West 07769 611 320
South East: 020 8988 8777
South West: 07759 796 478
Southern: 07833 681910
Wales: 07935 391 947
West Mids: 02476 555 620
Yorkshire: 0114 264 6551