Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1040/29059
Waltham Forest TUC May Day
On 28 April Waltham Forest Trade Union Council hosted two important events in Abbotts Park in Leyton, east London.
People gathered to mark Workers' Memorial Day, to pay tribute to workers killed, injured, disabled and made unwell by their work. Workers like Raymond Holmes, who was killed working on the Thames Water site in Coppermill. Raymond's wife and daughter sent the trades council a note of thanks for remembering him and for keeping up the tradition.
A special appeal was made to remember Lyra McKee a journalist and NUJ member in Northern Ireland recently shot while doing her job covering a disturbance in Derry.
This was followed by a festival to revive May Day. It was a mixture of great entertainers and great speakers from a range of organisations including Chris Baugh, assistant general secretary of the civil servants union PCS.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 1 May 2019:
Local elections 2019
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns