Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1044/29177
Teignmouth: hands off our community hospital!
Sean Brogan, chair, Unite Community South Devon branch (personal capacity) and Exeter Socialist Party
Teignmouth people took to the streets again protesting against the threatened closure of their community hospital. This was the ninth march and rally - exhibiting a never give up attitude!
Having already lost two wards, the hospital is slated for complete closure despite the high demand for its services.
The Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) has closed nearly every community hospital in Devon. In its so-called 'consultation' the CCG chose to show our hospital in the worst light - having seen maintenance deliberately run down over the years.
At the rally, the hypocrites of both the Tory Party and Lib Dems (ie the Tory second eleven) called for it to be kept open, despite having started the closure process when in coalition!
I condemned them both and called for a general election and the abolition of the 2012 Health and Social Care Act - a privatisers' charter.
The march was well supported by South Devon Unite Community branch and the local Labour Party.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 29 May 2019:
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party news and analysis
Workplace news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns