Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1048/29304
From The Socialist newspaper, 26 June 2019
Them & Us
Since 1988, just 100 companies are responsible for 71% of greenhouse gas emissions (Click to enlarge)
- A study by the Sutton Trust and the Social Mobility Commission has discovered what we already know - 'top' jobs are still dominated by a tiny rich elite.
- Royal accounts reveal that renovating Harry Windsor and Megan Markle's new home cost £2.4 million - paid for by you and me - after it was transformed from five homes to one!
- Despite 'green' window dressing by the Queen, the Royal family's carbon footprint doubled in the last year.
- Research by Greener UK and the Climate Coalition has discovered that nearly 70% of people want faster action to fight climate change.
- Since 1988, just 100 companies are responsible for 71% of greenhouse gas emissions. And the government is making it even harder for individuals to lower emissions.
- The government is jacking up the VAT - where you pay the same no matter what you earn - on solar-battery systems from 5% to 20%.
- Restaurant chain Wahaca has been forced to reverse its illegal and barbaric policy of charging waiters when customers leave without paying.
- Sheer embarrassment brought on this climb down. But we can't rely on the capitalists' blushes for decent rights at work.
- Strike action by Food workers' union BFAWU beat zero-hour contracts at Hovis and won a pay rise at McDonalds.
Why not click here to join the Socialist Party, or click here to donate to the Socialist Party.
In The Socialist 26 June 2019:
How can we build workers' action to support the climate strikes?
Climate change protests reach important stage
Socialist Party news and analysis
No to Boris, no to Hunt: general election now
Universal Credit forces women into prostitution
Charging scandal in Warrington and Halton NHS Trust
Union action can tackle 58% working poverty rate
Unsafe, unaffordable housing scandal
Them & Us
International socialist news and analysis
Ratcheting up of Iran-US tensions
Sudan solidarity protests
Workplace news and analysis
Coordinate the fightback! Come to the 2019 NSSN conference
Unions and campaigners discuss fight to end education crisis
Striking workers defy the race to the bottom at Glasgow and Aberdeen airports
Bridgend NSSN meeting determined to fight for Ford workers
Unison conference: Socialist Party members call for anti-cuts fight and build left challenge
Salisbury South Western Rail strikers determined
Midlands mental health workers walk out against privatisation
Notts college contract dispute
Colloids workers strike to support sacked rep
Harrogate academy workers strike against cuts
35th anniversary of the Battle of Orgreave
Socialist Party reports and campaigns
Angry Barking fire victims demand action from landlords and authorities
Hull trade union festival a great success
Stop the Devon and Somerset fire service cuts
Opinion: capitalism's Fukushima showed same recklessness as Stalinism's Chernobyl
The Socialist inbox
The Socialist 26 June 2019 |
Join the Socialist
| Audio | PDF | ebook
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 0798 202 1969
East Mids: 0773 797 8057
London: 020 8988 8786
North East: 0784 114 4890
North West 07954 376 096
South East: 020 8988 8777
South West: 07759 796 478
Southern: 07833 681910
Wales: 07935 391 947
West Mids: 02476 555 620
Yorkshire: 0114 264 6551