Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1050/29362
Excellent response to Socialist Party building fund appeal
Ken Douglas, Socialist Party national treasurer
Our members and supporters have responded magnificently to our appeal following the purchase of our new premises. We will be moving shortly and are currently in the process of fitting out our new headquarters.
In addition to the purchase price of the building and all the costs associated with that, there are also the costs of moving and fitting out the new offices. For instance, installing all the cabling and power points will cost over £10,000; moving the press will cost around £4,000; the intruder alarm system £2,000.
A longstanding member in the Southern region responded to our appeal and donated £10,000 - an excellent donation which will help pay for the new data and power points currently being installed.
We also appealed for comrades to buy a brick for £20 for the new offices and Ruthie McNally from Worcester responded immediately, donating £20.
Can you help us with a donation towards our moving and refurbishing costs? In addition there are still over £25,000 in outstanding pledges - if you haven't yet redeemed yours please can you do so as soon as possible.
- Visit socialistparty.org.uk/donate (put "building fund" in comments)
- Donate with your card over the phone by calling 020 8988 8777
- Or make a cheque payable to "Socialist Party" and send it to Building Fund, PO Box 24697, London E11 1YD
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 17 July 2019:
What we think
Imperial typewriters dispute
Moon landing 50 years on
Socialist Party reports and campaigns
International socialist news and analysis