Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1054/29519
London bus workers protest for better hours and conditions
Around a hundred bus drivers and supporters joined a Unite the Union-organised London bus drivers' demonstration outside City Hall on 29 August. It coincided with the publication of an investigation by Loughborough University into the causes of bus driver fatigue commissioned by Transport for London. Bus drivers are demanding shorter hours without loss of pay and better working conditions.
The Socialist Party's leaflet demanded: An end to Tory Transport for London budget cuts; one pay scale for all London bus workers - the best; shorter, safer hours of driving to combat fatigue - with no loss of pay; and the return of London buses to public ownership democratically run by workers - no private profits from public transport. The Socialist will feature an analysis of the Loughborough report in a future issue.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 31 May 2019:
What we think
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns