Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1055/29559
Leicester Kashmir protest rejects religious smokescreen
Leicester Socialist Party supported the 7 September demo against attacks on the democratic rights of the Kashmiri people by the right-wing Modi government.
Protesters made it clear they reject this being represented as a sectarian or religious issue.
They understand that Modi, as a capitalist representative, is as much the enemy of the working class and poor in India, Pakistan and Kashmir.
We pointed to January's massive general strike in India with 150 million workers taking part, showing the potential of the trade unions to put pressure on those in power.
Protesters and passers-by were eager to discuss, and stopped us to buy 17 copies of the Socialist which included our article on Kashmir.
Leicester Socialist Party
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 11 September 2019:
International socialist news and analysis
What we think
Socialist Party reports and campaigns