Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1058/29650
Karro Foods victory Hull
Workers at Karro Foods in Hull have won a 7.1% pay increase over two years.
Trish, a steward and main organiser of the dispute, explained that when they started the strike, the workforce did not believe that they could win but that they had to do something.
Many of them have to spend the day carrying out backbreaking work for minimum wages. Scandalously, many of the workforce are reliant on food banks.
This victory will increase the confidence of Karro workers and also the wider labour and trade union movement who have supported them.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 2 October 2019:
What we think
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns