Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1059/29697
Lincolnshire health visitors strike
Lincolnshire health visitors are being balloted for further strike action with the county council trying to 'divide and rule' over future job roles.
The Unite members have taken 32 days of strike action since July. They are losing over £2,000 a year after being transferred from the NHS to the council two years ago. The council has provocatively divided the health visitor role into two separate jobs, but all health visitors have the same specialist nurse training.
This is a tawdry 'divide and rule' manoeuvre from a council with a surplus of £188million for 2018-19 - that found the money to pay off their former chief executive with £292,000 for a mere six month's work!
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 9 October 2019:
What we think
Labour and workers' rights
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns