Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/articles/29804
Major rally to plan how to get Corbyn elected with socialist policies
A Socialist Party press release
Opening rally: Saturday 2nd November 2119
Logan Hall, Institute of Education, 20 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AL
- Peter Taaffe, former editor of the Militant
- Marion Lloyd, the socialist candidate for general secretary of the PCS civil servants' union, one of the most militant unions in Britain
- Labour left MPs invited
Socialism 2019 lead organiser Sarah Sachs-Eldridge says:
"Socialism 2019 will be the biggest socialist general election preparation event there is. We will be preparing to go out and fight for anti-austerity policies - but also for what comes after.
"We believe Jeremy Corbyn can win with bold socialist policies that point to the end of: food bank usage, homelessness, cuts to our public services and NHS, tuition fees, privatisation and all the pain of austerity.
"Socialism 2019 will prepare to fight to defend an anti-austerity government against the attempts to sabotage it by all its enemies in the Tories - but also among the Blairites - like those who didn't vote for the general election.
"The highlight of the weekend will be the Saturday night rally where we will bring everyone together - from the leaders of the Militant Tendency and the Socialist Party, to student and trade union leaders, to climate strikers, postal workers about to strike and hundreds of trade union, socialist and community campaigners, this will be a rally that brings together the best and most determined fighters for a socialist alternative to Tory misery and capitalist crisis.
"We will also use the rally to celebrate the life of Tony Mulhearn, a socialist leader in Liverpool when the city council under the leadership of Militant defeated Thatcher in the 1980s.
"The full schedule of workshops includes discussion on all the major issues we face in this election and beyond. From Brexit to environmental crisis, from the fight against sexism to the development of artificial intelligence, we will discuss the big questions of today."
- The Socialist Party is a campaigning, democratic organisation. Our members played a leading role on Liverpool Labour council in the 1980s when it defied Thatcher and refused to implement cuts, winning £60 million to spend on jobs and services in the city.
- Socialist Party members were among the leaders of the struggle in the late 80s and early 90s when 18 million people nationwide refused to pay the hated Poll Tax.
- We fight against all attacks on the rights and living standards of working class people and stand for a socialist alternative.
For reports and video clips about the Socialist Party: www.socialistparty.org.uk
- To arrange interviews and for any other information requests, please contact:
Sarah Sachs-Eldridge: 079 580 320 71, 020 8988 8771, firstname.lastname@example.org