Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1069/30117
Nottingham: Youth protest against Barclays £64 million fossil-fuel investments
20 young people protested outside Barclays bank in Nottingham on 11 January. Eleven pension fund shareholders are putting the first ever climate resolution to Barclay's annual general meeting, calling on the bank to phase out investment in fossil-fuel projects and companies.
Since 2015, Barclays has invested £64 million in fossil-fuel initiatives, including tar sands oil projects in Canada, causing devastation to First Nation lands and communities.
It is not just Barclays but the capitalist system that has caused, and will not solve, the climate crisis. We need socialist change to end climate change.
Clare Wilkins, Nottingham Socialist Party
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 15 January 2020:
What we think
International socialist news and analysis