Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1072/30210
Ealing tax office workers strike against closure
Civil service workers at Ealing tax office took further strike action on 29-31 January against its closure and staff redundancies.
Following their successful action in spring 2019, PCS union members were reballoted in November when talks broke down.
At a strike rally, Labour's shadow chancellor John McDonnell spoke against the closure of the office and strikers were joined by representatives from the RMT, Unite and Unison trade unions, the NSSN and Ealing and Hillingdon trade union councils.
Strikers chose to target HMRC's tax deadline date as they continue to fight to save their jobs and services.
- They can be supported at justgiving.com/crowdfunding/saveealingtaxoffice
PCS NEC elections
In the upcoming PCS elections the newly formed Broad Left Network, made up of socialists from across the union, is standing on a fighting programme. Socialist Party members Marion Lloyd and Dave Semple head up the list of candidates standing for president and vice-president respectively, and other members are standing for the national executive committee.
- See the full slate and programme at pcsbln.wordpress.com
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 5 February 2020:
What we think