Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1072/30225
Nationalise the railways: For an integrated public transport system
Privatisation doesn't work! That's the real message from the Tories' decision to take Britain's worst train operator, Northern Rail, back into public ownership.
South Western could be next, and the list is getting longer all the time. This is on top of the failures of the East Coast Main Line and ScotRail, and the 'bailout' of Flybe.
The whole system is a total mess. Even Keith Williams, head of an 'independent' review into the rail franchise system, has said we need "revolution not evolution".
We agree. But unlike Mr Williams, former chief executive of British Airways, we won't be satisfied with a state 'fat controller' regulating more private franchises.
We want all the privateers out of the railways - and out of all of our public services.
We want an integrated and affordable transport system, fully funded and publicly owned, democratically controlled by transport workers and transport users - a system which puts the needs of working-class people and the environment before the profits of the super-rich.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 5 February 2020:
What we think