Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1075/30330
Students and workers out together on Budget Day, 11 March
Socialist Students is backing protests against the Tory budget on 11 March.
They offer us no future whatsoever. Instead, what's on offer is a lifetime of student debt, poverty pay and housing, and climate crisis.
The lives of students and young people have been blotted by a decade of Tory austerity and misery.
Boris Johnson's words about austerity being over are hollow. The government has announced that all government departments will see a 5% spending cut.
Our education system is not safe. University campuses are in complete disarray. Tory-driven marketisation is piling up grievances for students and workers alike.
Socialist Students says:
- Fight for free, fully funded university education
- Cancel all outstanding student debt
- Reverse the marketisation of higher education
- Build council homes and university-run, not-for-profit student housing
- End low pay and zero-hour contracts
- Build a united student and worker fightback on the campuses against the Tories
- Read the full statement at socialiststudents.org.uk
Theo Sharieff, Socialist Students national organiser
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 26 February 2020:
What we think