Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1076/30359
West London parking workers' strike
Ealing parking attendants are on strike 2-6 March, having pushed back the employer to stop redundancies. Serco wants them to work longer hours, with more responsibilities and fewer staff.
All this without any extra holiday pay - despite the fact Serco parking attendants in other boroughs do have more holiday entitlement.
For some workers who have been there over a decade, Serco is their fourth employer, and now it's clear they want to try increase their profits off the back of the hard-working staff.
Luckily, the staff are well organised in Unite the Union. They are picketing outside their work place but also protesting outside the council offices. Striking staff are putting pressure on Ealing Labour council, which really should have come out in support of these underpaid, overworked and poorly treated workers by now.
Helen Pattison, London Socialist Party
The issues raised above are among the many reasons why it is important to fight for socialists to be in London's City Hall. See a socialist manifesto for London and donate to the campaign for socialist policies in London's May elections, at: www.londonsocialistparty.org.uk
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 4 March 2020:
International Women's Day 2020
Socialist Party Congress