Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1079/30483
Transport union RMT demands action for coronavirus tube safety
RMT union members have shown a huge commitment to keep the tube running, in spite of the obvious risk to tube workers who are working.
We have made some progress. Cleaners working for contractor ABM are getting full sick pay if isolating or sick with coronavirus. But London Underground, the London mayor and government have failed to deal with the key issues confronting members at work.
- London Underground must reduce usage now.
It is ridiculous to have people being fined for congregating in groups of more than two while, at the same time, stuffing hundreds into a tube carriage where people struggle to maintain two inches of social distancing, let alone two metres.
- The government must shut down construction sites and guarantee pay of all self-employed and gig economy workers.
We know that crowding is mainly affecting services early in the morning from areas with high numbers of self-employed and gig economy workers.
- Agreed enhanced-cleaning plans must be put into action now.
- Station staff must be told to work behind glass and only work in public areas when essential for safety reasons.
- All non-essential maintenance must be cancelled.
- Transport for London must guarantee pay of all self-employed workers in its orbit.
RMT will tell London Underground that without these measures being agreed and implemented immediately we will be unable to advise our members that we consider it safe to come to work.
Extract from RMT union statement
- Socialist Party member and tube station worker Jared Wood is the RMT union's executive committee member representing London transport. Jared has been central to putting forward demands to keep transport workers and passengers safe, and proposing action to achieve this.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 25 March 2020:
What we think
Coronavirus workplace news