Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1103/31404
From The Socialist newspaper, 30 September 2020
Unison: Hugo Pierre is on the ballot - vote for a fighting socialist!
Socialist Party & Unison NEC member Hugo Pierre (centre), alongside others, taking part in the 8 August health workers' protests for a 15% pay increase. Photo Sarah SE (Click to enlarge)
Hugo Pierre, a Socialist Party member and candidate for Unison general secretary, is on the ballot paper for the election after receiving the nomination of 31 branches across the country and the different sectors Unison organises.
Hugo is also endorsed by the union's National Black Members' Committee.
The ballot will run from 28 October to 27 November 2020.
Hugo is standing on the following programme:
- We won't pay for the Covid-19 crisis!
- Local authorities: a national fight for £10 billion funding - fight all cuts and demand Labour councillors don't vote for cuts
- For a renationalised NHS and social care sector with full collective bargaining and national terms and conditions
- Reverse all education privatisation. Academies back to local authorities
- Full funding for further and higher education
- For a real fight on public sector pay to reverse the 'austerity years' pay cuts - for a £15-an-hour minimum wage
- Fight for jobs and homes, not racism. Black lives matter!
- Not a penny of members' money to Labour representatives who back cuts, privatisation or austerity
- For genuine members' control of our union, with the election of union officials
- For a trade union fight to end environmental catastrophe
- A pledge not to take the £138,000-a-year salary. but live on a worker's wage
Rules introduced by Unison to clamp down on democratic debate in the union mean that candidates for union elections cannot 'invite or accept' support 'in money or kind' from any entity which 'is not provided for in Unison rules'. This article has been produced without the authorisation of Hugo Pierre, in order to comply with these requirements.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
In The Socialist 30 September 2020:
Tory scheme won't halt mass unemployment: mobilise the unions!
Job Support Scheme - too little, too late
Under the microscope
News in brief
Trump's failure over western US wildfires
US: Police escape justice over Breonna Taylor killing
South Africa: Working class unity to stop violence against women
What we think
Covid restrictions expose Tory splits
Students trapped on Covid campuses speak out
Apprehension about Covid - anger at fees, costs and exploitation
Black History Month
Still crawling at 60: Capitalism has failed Nigeria
Trade unions must fight to put their stamp on events
Usdaw elections: Defend members' right to participate
PCS: No to DWP management's plans - Yes to action
NHS workers need 15% rise and full funding
Fight BT redundancies
Peterborough CWU have massively voted for strike action
Campaigns and party news
Why I joined the Socialist Party: Labour moved right and left me behind
£71,522 raised: We've smashed our target again
Selling the Socialist
Newham: Closed and evicted
Campaign for new King George Hospital wing gets boost
Solidarity not charity
The Socialist Inbox
The Socialist 30 September 2020 |
Join the Socialist
| Audio | PDF | ebook
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Email: [email protected]
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 079 8202 1969
East Mids: 077 3797 8057
London: 075 4018 9052
North East: 078 4114 4890
North West 079 5437 6096
South West: 077 5979 6478
Southern: 078 3368 1910
Wales: 079 3539 1947
West Mids: 024 7655 5620
Yorkshire: 077 0671 0041