Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1108/31603
From The Socialist newspaper, 4 November 2020
Socialism 2020: Mass workers' voice needed
We are the 99% - Take the wealth off the 1% Socialist Party, photo Paul Mattsson (Click to enlarge)
Discuss & debate at Socialism 2020 - online forum: 20-23 November
How did your living standards fair between April and July this year? Chances are you didn't see your wealth increase to over ten trillion dollars. But the world's billionaires did.
Meanwhile, roughly 30 million people are unemployed in the US, about a fifth of the workforce. In autumn 2020, almost 30 million Americans reported that they have not had enough to eat at some point in the previous seven days.
In Britain, a 'period of destitution' is threatened by the twin crises of Covid and capitalism. Child hunger rumbles - and grumbles - on.
In every country on the planet, our lives and livelihoods are not safe in the hands of the representatives of the capitalist class. The big business fat cats get rich and our families and communities pay the price.
A new mass workers' party could articulate a socialist programme around which the working class could unite in struggle in our own interests. It is urgently needed. That starts with raising the idea - and fighting for it.
That was the Socialist Party's history in the Labour Party, then called Militant. Peter Taaffe was the former editor of the Militant paper and Hannah Sell was the last Young Socialist representative on the Labour Party NEC. And we continue that tradition today.
The US presidential candidate for the Green Party, Howie Hawkins, is using his campaign to raise the need to build a mass working class political voice there. Howie will speak at the main rally of Socialism 2020 alongside Hannah, Peter and other socialist fighters.
Socialism 2020 Saturday night rally
- Covid, capitalist crisis, working class political representation, & the fight for socialism
- 21 November, 6-8pm, broadcast live
- Hannah Sell Socialist Party general secretary
- Peter Taaffe Socialist Party political secretary and former editor of the Militant
- Howie Hawkins Green US presidential candidate
- Bea Gardner Student activist
- Hugo Pierre Unison NEC (personal capacity)
- Isai Priya Socialist Party Black & Asian members' coordinator
- Chaired by Helen Pattison
- For agenda, tickets, info: socialism2020.net or 020 8988 8777
Donate to the Socialist Party
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to donate to our Fighting Fund.
In The Socialist 4 November 2020:
What we think
Our lives, our jobs - not safe in Tory hands
Corbyn suspended - Time to fight for a new mass workers' party
Socialism 2020: Mass workers' voice needed
Why the Socialist Party is backing Hugo Pierre for Unison general secretary
A lockdown that doesn't include education?
Spycops inquiry finally opens
Testing is failing - it's a privatised mess
Furloughed worker speaks out: Let down by insecure contracts
Transport for London given funding stop gap
Usdaw needs a fighting leadership
Birmingham NHS porters' 48-hour strike against shift changes
Optare strikers escalate their action
Chile: A defeat for the right!
Poland: Mass protests against abortion ban
US presidential election 2020
Save St Andrews mental health ward
Leeds protesters demand "Buhari must go!"
Building Bangor Socialist Students
Maybe now they will listen - Refund the fees!
Donate now to the Socialism 2020 appeal
Corbyn suspended: Join the fightback, join the socialists
The Socialist Inbox
The Socialist 4 November 2020 |
Join the Socialist
| Audio | PDF | ebook