Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/articles/32379
Posted on 15 April 2021 at 16:23 GMT
Latest podcast: PCS elections - the struggle for fighting trade unionism
How can the trade unions, as the main mass organisations of the working class, be organised to fulfil their full potential in the fight against Tory Covid austerity?
In this episode we speak to Marion Lloyd, the socialist candidate for president of the PCS union which organises civil service workers and national government workers on privatised contracts.
Marion is standing on the Broad Left Network list, See details here: pcsbln.wordpress.com/
- Why do socialists fight for broad lefts in the unions?
- Why was it so important to fight the idea of 'national unity' put out by the Tories at the start of the pandemic?
- Why do trade unions also need political demands and a political arm to their workplace struggle?
This episode of Socialism looks at the major issues confronting the working class - from the fight against Tory Covid austerity, to defending the right to protest, to the fight against the oppression, injustice and inequality revealed even more ruthlessly by the pandemic - and the role of the trade unions.
We look at the fight within the unions for the leadership required in order for the trade unions to play their potential role in these struggles.
Donate to the Socialist Party
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- We must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to donate to our Fighting Fund.
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Email: [email protected]
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 079 8202 1969
East Mids: 077 3797 8057
London: 020 8988 8786
North East: 078 4114 4890
North West 079 5437 6096
South West: 077 5979 6478
Southern: 078 3368 1910
Wales: 077 7221 5281
West Mids: 024 7655 5620
Yorkshire: 078 0983 9793