Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1130/32398
PCS leadership ballot underway
Katrine Williams, Vice-president PCS DWP group (personal capacity)
The ballot for PCS president and national executive committee opens on 22 April and runs to 13 May. PCS is the union for government workers in the civil service and public and private sectors.
The PCS left rank-and-file group, the Broad Left Network, is standing Socialist Party member Marion Lloyd for president and candidates for vice-presidents and the national executive committee.
Marion Lloyd has received 42 branch nominations. She is currently BEIS (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) group president and on the union's national executive committee. Marion's nominations put her in the strongest position to defeat the current president, Fran Heathcote.
Marion told the Socialist she believes: "The current leadership is out of touch and doesn't understand, let alone tackle, the day-to-day issues we all face at work." She urged PCS members to vote for her and the other Broad Left Network candidates in these elections.
The Broad Left Network was formed by socialists in response to the need to challenge and replace the current failed union leadership. The key issues it is standing candidates on include:
- A national campaign for a safe working environment. Address mental health, stress and wellbeing as a priority. We won't pay for the Covid-19 crisis
- Stop the pay freeze. For a 10% pay rise. A national campaign on pay and pensions
- End privatisation, bring services back in-house
- Protect and improve lay democracy
- Protect the future of our union with campaigns that can recruit, organise, build and win improvements, not by mergers and restructures
- Fight the Tory attacks on our right to protest, strike and picket
- A strong political voice - PCS should support candidates who back us
- Socialist Party members in PCS call upon activists and members to vote for the Broad Left Network candidates below.
- For a democratic union and a fighting leadership.
BROAD LEFT NETWORK CANDIDATES
- PRESIDENT: MARION LLOYD (BEIS)
- VICE PRESIDENTS: FIONA BRITTLE (SCOT GOV), SARAH BROWN (MET POLICE), DAVE SEMPLE (DWP), JON-PAUL ROSSER (HMRC)
- NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE:
DAVE BARTLETT (MOJ), REBECCA BORLAND (HOME OFFICE), ANDI BRIDGES (HMRC), FIONA BRITTLE (SCOT GOV), ALEX BROWN (HEALTH), SARAH BROWN (MET POLICE), JAIME DAVIES (HMRC), KEVIN DENMAN (MET POLICE), ALAN DENNIS (DSG), NICK DOYLE (HMRC), GILL FOXTON (DfE), SUE FRANCIS (BEIS), PAUL GUINNANE (DFE), RACHEL HEEMSKERK (DWP), MARION LLOYD (BEIS), TOM LOWRY (DWP), RACHELLE MCDOUGALL (HMRC), NICK PARKER (BEIS), DAVE REES (DWP), ROB RITCHIE (MET POLICE), JON-PAUL ROSSER (HMRC), DAVE SEMPLE (DWP), PAUL SUTER (DWP), SAORSA-AMATHEIA TWEEDALE (DWP), KATRINE WILLIAMS (DWP), CRAIG WORSWICK (DWP), COLIN YOUNG (DFE), BOBBY YOUNG (HMRC)
In The Socialist 21 April 2021:
What we think