Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/446/5304
From The Socialist newspaper, 29 June 2006
What the Socialist Party says:
- No to NHS job losses, cuts and closures.
- No to health privatisation and 'the market'. Rebuild the NHS as a
publicly funded service free at the point of use, and with immediate
cash to end the crisis of under-funding.
- Unite the many campaigns already in existence to defend the NHS.
- The unions should name the day for a national weekday demonstration
and industrial action against the attacks on NHS jobs and services.
- Prepare for a one-day strike of NHS workers, with NHS staff deciding
levels of emergency cover.
- The health unions should stop giving money to New Labour, whose
pro-market policies are destroying the NHS. Join the Campaign for a New
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
In The Socialist 29 June 2006:
Socialist Party NHS campaign
Manchester marches to defend the NHS
Save our baby unit!
Take over the drugs giants
What the Socialist Party says:
Socialist Party youth and students
Young people - fight for your rights!
Socialist Party feature
SWP / Respect conference: Flawed perspectives
International socialist news and analysis
Greek students' protests ignite solidarity action
New regime in Somalia a setback for US imperialism
Socialist Party campaigns
G8 leaders fail to make poverty history
Police and fascists attack Moscow Pride
Fight back against homophobic bullying
Socialist Party workplace news and analysis
Hands off civil servants' pension rights
Support striking Asda workers
Anger at leadership's tactics
Not just: " Lie back and Think of England"
General Motors meets workers' resistance
The Socialist 29 June 2006 |
Join the Socialist
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 079 8202 1969
East Mids: 077 3797 8057
London: 075 4018 9052
North East: 078 4114 4890
North West 079 5437 6096
South West: 077 5979 6478
Southern: 078 3368 1910
Wales: 079 3539 1947
West Mids: 024 7655 5620
Yorkshire: 077 0671 0041