Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/articles/8963
Defend the Four newsletter
Urgent Dawn raids on Unison offices!
Ban imposed on four Unison branch leaders
Following the mitigation hearings, Glenn Kelly (Bromley), Suzanne Muna (Housing Association), Onay Kasab (Greenwich) and Brian Debus (Hackney) have all been banned from holding any office in Unison.
Early this morning (5th March) UNISON officials turned up at the UNISON offices of the Bromley, Greenwich and the Housing Association having given no notice; we are awaiting an update from Hackney. The officials have attempted to confiscate computer hard drives and other resources, which include important documents on on-going personal cases.
The officials intend to run elections for new branch officers but as has happened in other branches they may well try to run the branches themselves which has led to moribund UNISON branches.
The Four have conducted a determined and high profile campaign which has meant that it has taken nearly 3 years to get them banned from office. The mitigation hearings also concluded that the length of the bans will be reduced by between 1 and 3 years.
However, this morning's action shows the vicious reality of the UNISON leaderships attacks on socialist activists within the union.
The four are urging supporters to phone or e-mail UNISON Head Office now to protest against the ban and the raids of the branch offices.
What we need you to do:
1. Let as many Unison members as possible know what is happening
2. E-mail letters of protest to:
- UNISON General Secretary Dave Prentis: email@example.com
- UNISON London Region: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Phone UNISON Head Office to express your disgust on 0845 355 0845
4. Pass a motion at your next meeting to be sent to Dave Prentis.
5. Funds are urgently needed for leaflets, publicity and legal costs.
Cheques payable to: 'Stop the Witch-Hunt' and should be sent to: Defend the Four Campaign, PO Box 858, London E11 1YG.