All International subcategories:
15Now's Kshama Sawant in London this weekend
A Socialist Party press release 4.11.14
Winning $15/hr minimum in Seattle inspires low paid in UK
In Seattle, a city the size of Glasgow, 100,000 workers will be lifted out of poverty thanks to the campaign for a $15 an hour minimum wage which swept Kshama Sawant into the Seattle City Council last November.
Now, with 46 million Americans living in poverty and income inequality reaching levels not seen since the 1920, the magnificent 15Now campaign is spreading across the United States. It has vibrant campaigns in Minneapolis, Philadelphia, New York City, and in nearly 20 other cities.
Here in Britain, with 5 million workers earning less than a living wage, the call for a £10 an hour minimum - campaigned for by the bakers' union and the Socialist Party - is gaining momentum. Hundreds of low paid workers will be attending the Socialism 2014 event in London this weekend to hear Kshama explain how the 15 Now campaign was built in Seattle.
Kshama Sawant is speaking on Saturday 8th November 2014 at a 6.30pm rally in the Camden Centre.
On the same platform will be:
- Ruth Coppinger, a new Socialist Party MP in Dublin who is among those spearheading a mass non-payment campaign of the Irish government's brutal water tax.
- Mark Serwotka, general secretary of the PCS, a union at the forefront of fighting austerity.
- Ian Hodson, general secretary of the bakers' union, BFAWU, which launched the Fast Food Rights campaign.
- Peter Taaffe, general secretary of the host organisation of 'Socialism 2014' - the Socialist Party.
- Brian Smith, secretary of the biggest public sector trade union branch in Scotland, Glasgow Unison (speaking in a personal capacity).
For information about the event, see: www.socialism2014.net
EVENT PRESS CONFERENCE
Hear and meet Kshama Sawant, Ruth Coppinger and others:
2pm, Brunei lecture theatre, SOAS, Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG.
For a press pass for this conference, contact in advance:
28 Jul Jobs and homes for all
28 Jul Nationality and borders bill
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Email: [email protected]
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 079 8202 1969
East Mids: 077 3797 8057
London: 075 4018 9052
North East: 078 4114 4890
North West 079 5437 6096
South West: 077 5979 6478
Southern: 078 3368 1910
Wales: 077 7221 5281
West Mids: 024 7655 5620
Yorkshire: 078 0983 9793