All Campaigns subcategories:
Election campaigns keywords:
135-seat TUSC launches five-point pledge
Today TUSC launched its manifesto in Canary Wharf, in what national TUSC chair Dave Nellist described as "in the belly of the beast".
The Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition is fielding an historic working class challenge on 7 May. Across England, Wales and Scotland a coalition of trade unionists, working class campaigners, and socialists will stand in over 135 seats, one in five parliamentary constituencies.
TUSC is contesting 12 of the 40 parliamentary constituencies in Wales (30%), 113 of the 533 seats in England (21%), and 10 of the 59 Scottish constituencies (17%). A list of candidates, with contact details is available on the TUSC elections website: www.tusc2015.com
TUSC is also standing in around 650 council seats.
For the BBC's report of the TUSC campaign launch, see:
Introducing TUSC's five-point programme Dave, a former Labour MP, said:
"Last night Liz Truss on Question Time spoke the biggest truth of the election when she said: 'We need to be wary of parties making promises when all three major parties have signed up for £30 billion of extra spending cuts.' She was referring to the vote on 15 January when only five Labour MPs voted against Osborne's Charter for Budget Responsibility."
Dave made the point that whatever mix of parties form the next government, austerity continues. "Only TUSC is 100% against austerity."
He also made the point among the banking HQs of Canary Wharf: "This is a rich country, the fifth richest on the planet. It's just that the wealth is in the wrong hands - in the hands of a few millionaires and billionaires... TUSC is the only unashamedly socialist party in these elections."
The TUSC five-point pledge shows how TUSC would use society's wealth.
1. End cuts and austerity. For a democratic socialist society run in the interests of the millions not the billionaires.
2. Trade union rights to fight low pay. £10 an hour minimum wage now, scrap zero hour contracts.
3. A mass council home building programme and immediate introduction of rent controls.
4. Scrap student fees. Free education as a right for all.
5. For democratic public ownership of our NHS, railways, public services, utilities and banks.
- On the evening of 17 April the TUSC broadcast will go out across five channels. See the 'No-cuts Off-cuts' clip: https://youtu.be/EIZ56_C1t8Y
- TUSC's trade union candidates include teachers, nurses, firefighters, local government workers, hospital porters, railway workers, prison officers, and many more.
- A new website details every candidate: www.tusc2015.com
12 May Stop Israeli state brutality
9 May Post-election meetings
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Email: [email protected]
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 079 8202 1969
East Mids: 077 3797 8057
London: 075 4018 9052
North East: 078 4114 4890
North West 079 5437 6096
South West: 077 5979 6478
Southern: 078 3368 1910
Wales: 079 3539 1947
West Mids: 024 7655 5620
Yorkshire: 078 0983 9793