Them & Us
- All the main parties have suffered drops in donations, says the Electoral Commission, but none so much as the Tories. They hauled £3.7 million in the first quarter of 2019, compared to £7.4 million the previous quarter, and almost £5 million in the first quarter of 2018.
- A column in the 3 June Financial Times warns utility shareholders not to insist on market value if they are nationalised. Lower but more stable alternative valuation measures are proposed. The bosses are worried a Corbyn government is round the corner. No to payouts for fat cats - compensate only for proven need!
- A Guardian investigation has found 169 peers in the House of Lords - one in five - also work as paid advisers to private business. Meanwhile, lords claimed tens of thousands each in expenses last year, while around a third took almost no part in parliamentary business. 245 of the 785 unelected lawmakers rarely spoke, 88 never spoke, and 46 never voted, found the Guardian. Abolish the Lords!
- The anger of private tenants suffering in the housing crisis forced the Tories to ban letting fees in England - and it's now come into effect. Citizens Advice reckons the charges were costing renters £13 million a month. Government assessments estimate the ban will set landlords back £83 million and agencies £157 million. They have threatened to claw some back with rent hikes - now cap rents too!
- Energy price hikes could add £362 a year to bills for households that don't switch tariffs. Gas and electric regulator Ofgem has raised its price cap on default rates by a whopping 10%. Almost 193,000 homes could be affected, for a potential total rip-off of £42 million. Nationalise the utilities under democratic workers' control and management!
- Over three-quarters of the poison-spewing diesel cars which manufacturers cheated tests to sell are still on the road. Transit NGO Transport and Environment estimates the remaining 33 million will stay in use for another two years. Nationalise the car-makers - fund affordable, clean public transport for all!
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 0798 202 1969
East Mids: 0773 797 8057
London: 020 8988 8786
North East: 0784 114 4890
North West 07954 376 096
South East: 020 8988 8777
South West: 07759 796 478
Southern: 07833 681910
Wales: 07935 391 947
West Mids: 02476 555 620
Yorkshire: 0114 264 6551