All Events subcategories:
Socialist Party major events keywords:
Socialist Party major events
Socialism 2014 rally: press release
Socialist Party press release 24.10.14
Russell Brand supports people fighting back
Russell Brand speaks up for the E15 mums, the firefighters, etc - people who need a voice in a society dominated by the super-rich 1%. We're told there is 'no alternative' to austerity and the struggle to get by - but there is.
The 'Socialism 2014' rally on 8th November 2014 has speakers with incredible records of struggle and of winning victories for the 99%:
- Kshama Sawant was elected as a socialist councillor in Seattle, USA, last November with almost 100,000 votes. She stood on a pledge of fighting for a $15/hr minimum wage and in April that minimum was won! That victory has helped to ignite interest in struggle and socialism across the USA.
- Ruth Coppinger is a new Socialist Party MP in Dublin, a courageous fighter for women's rights, leading the fight to repeal Ireland's ban on abortion. Ruth gives workers a voice and leadership in struggle - presently in the mass non-payment campaign against the Irish government's brutal water tax.
- Mark Serwotka has just been re-elected as general secretary of the PCS, a union at the forefront of fighting the government's austerity programme. The PCS, with its socialist leadership, has fought to arm the labour movement with an understanding that cuts are not necessary and can be fought.
- Peter Taaffe is the general secretary of the host organisation of 'Socialism 2014' - the Socialist Party. The Socialist Party is involved in working class struggles throughout the country and helps to build the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition (TUSC) - that provides an anti-cuts alternative in elections. The party's forerunner, Militant, was in the leadership of the 1980s' battle of Liverpool council for more resources and played a key role in defeating Thatcher by leading 18 million non-payers of the poll tax in the 1990s.
- Ian Hodson leads the bakers' union, BFAWU, which tenaciously fought and defeated zero-hour contracts at the Hovis factory in Wigan. The union launched the Fast Food Rights campaign, helping fast food workers to organise.
- Brian Smith (speaking in a personal capacity) is a steadfast defender of workers' rights in Glasgow Unison, fighting cuts and low pay. He and Socialist Party Scotland played an important role in the Yes campaign in Scotland's Indyref, making the case for an independent socialist Scotland and for the working class to build its own political voice.
For information about the event: www.socialism2014.net
For interviews with Kshama Sawant and other participants contact:
- Sarah Sachs Eldridge: SarahSachs-Eldridge@socialistparty.org.uk tel: 020 8988 8771
- Judy Beishon: email@example.com tel: 020 8988 8770
15 Jul Council workers strike back
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 079 8202 1969
East Mids: 077 3797 8057
London: 075 4018 9052
North East: 078 4114 4890
North West 079 5437 6096
South West: 077 5979 6478
Southern: 078 3368 1910
Wales: 079 3539 1947
West Mids: 024 7655 5620
Yorkshire: 077 0671 0041