Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1019/28304
From The Socialist newspaper, 21 November 2018
Them & Us
Them and us (Click to enlarge)
- The ex-head of an 'academy' primary in south London is getting £850,000 from the school's funds. Business-run Van Gogh academy in Stockwell is funnelling money from its private leisure centre to disgraced boss Sir Greg Martin. We say: cut him off! Take the school and leisure centre back into council control!
- What's the hottest social media fad among capitalists? The Times reports: "Instagram's latest craze: billionaires posing with tiger cubs."
- Are you filthy, stinking rich and concerned about workers' revolt? Anxious plutocrats are installing luxury panic rooms in their mansions, says Business Insider. A bullet-proof, blast-proof chamber replete with flat-screen telly, plush furnishings - and a bar - could set you back a mere $500,000.
- What do you get the boss, who has everything, for Christmas? How about one of a series of 25 bespoke reboot editions of "claustrophobic" 1973 supercar the Lancia Stratos! Just €550,000 plus tax, says the FT. Oh, and you'll need to buy a Ferrari F430 first for the designers to build it out of.
... & us
Southern Rail, photo Hugh Llewelyn/CC (Click to enlarge)
- 25 years after the law that privatised British Rail, fares have risen an average of 20% in real terms. Some fares have more than doubled. And on top of this, the added cost to the taxpayer is £5 billion a year, says Labour analysis.
- They crashed the economy. They made us pay for it. Now the banks are forcing us to travel further and further just to get to them. Two-thirds of branches have closed: 20,583 in 1988 to 7,586 today, says Which? Almost a fifth of us now live over two miles away from essential banking services.
- Police bosses floated plans to relax stop-and-search rules so officers could search anyone - without reason. Even with the current "reasonable grounds" requirement, black people are eight times more likely to be stopped and searched, according to government figures.
- The EU has erected over 1,000km of border walls since its inception in 1993, says the 'Building Walls' report. That's seven times the length of the Berlin Wall the EU's capitalist founders claimed they were overcoming. Over 34,000 desperate migrants have died trying to get into the EU in that time, most by drowning. That includes 3,915 last year alone.
Donate to the Socialist Party
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to donate to our Fighting Fund.
In The Socialist 21 November 2018:
What we think
Tories Out! General election Now!
May's government limps on... Corbyn and unions must call urgent, mass action
International socialist news and analysis
How can Trump be defeated?
Spanish state: Over one million students strike against sexism and for inclusive sex education
Political turmoil in Sri Lanka
Even UN slams Tory poorhouse Britain
Housing arrears double, suicide risk soars - scrap Universal Credit!
75,000 kids in foster care - and counting: end cuts and for-profit care
Them & Us
What we saw
Save the high street: public ownership, not ghost malls
'Worker's death could happen again' at Leicester plastic factory
Arriva Rail North under pressure after nineteenth Saturday strike
Indefinite dinner ladies' and teaching assistants' strike
Hamilton posties walk out against bullying
Tube strike solid against victimisation
Socialist Party reports and campaigns
Save our NHS - oust the Tory wreckers!
Solidarity with Irish rape trial protests
Thousands march against racism - now Corbyn and unions must take lead
Mansfield council must step in to save miners' park
Stop Nottingham Labour's cuts to disabled travel!
Step up fundraising for the Xmas Collectathon!
Nothing to offer from the Blairites
The Socialist inbox
The Socialist 21 November 2018 |
Join the Socialist
| Audio | PDF | ebook
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Email: [email protected]
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 079 8202 1969
East Mids: 077 3797 8057
London: 075 4018 9052
North East: 078 4114 4890
North West 079 5437 6096
South West: 077 5979 6478
Southern: 078 3368 1910
Wales: 077 7221 5281
West Mids: 024 7655 5620
Yorkshire: 078 0983 9793