Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1064/29863
Transport for London - Justice for cleaners!
The Mayor of London and Tory government have conspired to cut £1 billion from Transport for London's budget but tube workers are fighting back.
Cleaners working for ABM are balloting for strike action to win basic rights to sick pay, staff travel facilities and a decent pension.
Socialist Party member Jared Wood, who is standing for election to the RMT union executive from the London transport region, said: "We must all help to deliver a resounding yes vote for strike.
"If we can win our cleaners' dispute the working life of our cleaner members would be transformed, and so would the industrial position of RMT."
All grades, whether London Underground staff or members working for sub-contractors are under attack as employers seek to cut costs and pass on the austerity policies of both the government and the London mayor.
London Underground staff are preparing to ballot for action in a fight for improved conditions. This includes a demand for a 4-day week to address shift patterns that have been shown to reduce life expectancy through fatigue.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 13 November 2019:
What we think
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns