Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1076/30364
30,000 strike for the climate in Bristol
Dave Moody, Bristol South Socialist Party
The weather was torrential rain. But this did not stop 30,000 demonstrators turning out to hear Greta Thunberg address a Bristol climate strike rally, the only place she was going to be speaking publicly on this visit to Britain.
"This emergency is being completely ignored by the politicians, the media and those in power. Basically, nothing is being done to halt this crisis, despite all the beautiful words and promises from our elected officials.
"We are the change, and change is coming whether you like it or not.
"So what did you do during this crucial time? I will not be silenced when the world is on fire... we will not be silenced."
The Socialist Party moved between the mainly young crowds handing out 3,500 copies of our leaflet, which gave real meaning to the chants of "system change not climate change". The Socialist Party leaflet called for the socialist change needed to end climate change.
We discussed with the young protesters how the current capitalist system has brought about the climate crisis by putting profit before people and the planet. At the very start, an eager young person wanted to buy a copy of the Socialist and learn more about our ideas. He said that in his bag he had a copy of the Communist Manifesto.
Greta only spoke for a short time and restricted her message to putting pressure on elected politicians to do more to resolve the climate crisis. The Socialist Party is on these demos to promote socialist ideas in the generation who will take the struggle forward.
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 13 November 2019:
International Women's Day 2020
Socialist Party Congress