Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1077/30405
Strong support for PCS Broad Left Network
The newly formed PCS Broad Left Network (BLN) is contesting this year's PCS national elections for the first time. When nominations closed on 5 March, BLN supported candidates for president and the national executive committee had received over 40 branch nominations. This is an outstanding achievement.
The president and national executive committee ballot takes place over the period 16 April-7 May. The challenge facing BLN will be to turn this strong nomination support into membership votes.
Socialist Party member Marion Lloyd, who is the BLN candidate for president says: "We expect to do very well in the elections. Nothing can be taken for granted, but it is clear there is a mood for change in PCS, and the BLN programme has gone down well with activists and members. Thanks to BLN supporters for all their hard work."
- To join the BLN and give support in the election visit pcsbln.wordpress.com
Socialist Party members in PCS
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 11 March 2020:
Campaigns and party news
Women's and trans rights