Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/1078/30459
Stop Press: postal workers deliver massive strike vote and offer to become additional 'emergency service'
Communication Workers Union (CWU) members in Royal Mail beat the anti-union laws for the third time in less than three years, delivering a massive 94.5% yes vote for strike action, announced on 17 March.
In light of the coronavirus crisis however the CWU has said: "We will not be calling strike action at this point.
"Subject to Royal Mail prioritising the health and safety of our members, we want postal workers to become an additional emergency service in the UK.
"Postal workers are embedded in every community in the UK. It's time to utilise the company's unrivalled infrastructure and daily reach.
"With this in mind we have called for Royal Mail Group to step back from their attacks in the workplace, imposing unagreed change and destroying the very morale now needed, and work with the union to enact our proposal.
"Postal workers stand ready but Royal Mail Group must play their part by agreeing our proposal and ensuring the very best standards of safety and support to its employees."
Donate to the Socialist Party
Coronavirus crisis - Finance appeal
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
The government has now ripped up its 'austerity' mantra and turned to policies that not long ago were denounced as socialist. But after the corona crisis, it will try to make the working class pay for it, by trying to claw back what has been given.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- Our 'fighting coronavirus workers' charter', outlines a programme to combat the virus and protect workers' living conditions.
- When the health crisis subsides, we must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to click here to donate to our special coronavirus appeal.
- Click here to read our full appeal statement
- Click here for our coronavirus articles and reports
- Click here to join the Socialist Party
In The Socialist 18 March 2020:
Workplace news and analysis
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party reports and campaigns