Scott Jones, May Day greetings campaign organiser
Thousands of workers fought back in 2021 and that strike wave has continued into 2022. These hundreds of struggles, including many victories, are reported every week in the pages of the Socialist newspaper. The Socialist supports these workers, whether it’s in fighting for better pay, organising a safer workplace or defending victimised union reps.
It’s clear that the rest of the media does not do this and either repeat misinformation or only put forward one side of things. We need organised workers to support the alternative – the Socialist.
Here, and globally, the capitalist establishment has been rocked by mass popular uprisings and is on the ropes in many places. The need for organised workers’ action against the Tories and in our interests couldn’t be clearer.
Which paper details a fighting industrial strategy to keep workers safe and rewarded for all the sacrifices and work we have made? Who explains how councils can set budgets that defy the Tory cuts? Where can you read about the practical programme needed to build a mass party for working-class political representation? The Socialist.
We report and discuss strategy for the strikes and struggles the bosses’ media attacks or ignores. So celebrate International Workers’ Day 2022 in the traditional workers’ movement way by sending May Day greetings to help fund the Socialist.
- Socialist sellers and readers should use a sign-up sheet to ask colleagues for contributions to a workplace greeting. Visit the strikers the Socialist has supported to ask for a greeting as well.
- Trade unionists should propose a motion for May Day greetings to their union branch or committee. Make sure you send it now! The deadline for a 20% discount is full payment by 30 March – and the final deadline for greetings is 20 April.
- More and more young people have moved into action in the last year. Groups of supportive students should campaign for funds to send a greeting. Community campaigns too, on every issue where the working class is fighting.
But it’s crucial that you start now. Select an organiser in your region, trade union group or Socialist Party branch. List who you want to ask for greetings. And schedule the time to campaign for the funds.
2021 was another record breaker. Any group of workers or campaigners which wants to help fund us is welcome – our minimum price is negotiable if needed.
But the tasks facing socialists and workers are mounting. We must build on our successes again. Let’s get those greetings in!
- Send greetings, see prices and make payments: socialistparty.org.uk/mayday
- Resources and enquiries: [email protected]