Link to this page: http://www.socialistparty.org.uk/issue/526/3944
Solidarity with Kashmir workers
THE TRADE Union Rights Campaign - Kashmir [TURC-K] is in the forefront of helping to organise solidarity for thousands of earthquake-affected public sector workers in Pakistani Occupied Kashmir.
On 18 March workers began an indefinite strike in Rawalakot. The main protest demonstration was led by the public works department workers' banner, demanding the overdue salaries of workers who have not been paid for the last 19 months.
The Employees Action Committee, through the TURC-K, has made an appeal to trade unionists and young people for messages of solidarity to the striking workers and protests to the authorities concerned. TURC-K is organising solidarity action in Kashmir.
TURC- K, Kotli, Kashmir
Please include in letters of protest the necessity to implement the following demands of the Employees Action Committee:
- Pay overdue salaries to workers
- Pay compensation instalments to earthquake affected workers
- Release the HBA (House Building Advances) at district level
- Regularise contract workers
- Increase salaries, linked with inflation
- Set up labour laws and labour courts in Kashmir.
- All workers in the state should be given the right to form trade unions.
- All anti-labour laws scrapped, including the Special Power Act.
Please send letters of protest to:
- Sardar Attique Ahmed Khan. Prime Minister of Azad Jammu and Kashmir firstname.lastname@example.org
- President Musharraf of the Federal government of Pakistan CE@pak.gov.pk
Please send all solidarity messages to: Employees Action Committee, c/o TURC-K: email@example.com
Full report and pictures see www.socialistworld.net
In The Socialist 26 March 2008:
Socialist Party NHS campaign
Socialist Party workplace news
Socialist Party news and analysis
International socialist news and analysis
Socialist Party Marxist analysis