All Campaigns subcategories:
Local government keywords:
PCS union elections: Huge support for Chris Baugh
PCS assistant general secretary Chris Baugh at the National Gallery picket, 3.2.15, photo Rob Williams (Click to enlarge)
Marion Lloyd, PCS national executive committee (personal capacity)
The PCS civil servants' union elects its assistant general secretary (AGS) every five years and its national executive committee annually. The ballot for these positions takes place 16 April to 19 May.
At the close of nominations, Socialist Party member and current AGS, Chris Baugh, had received 87 branch nominations. Socialist Party members Marion Lloyd and Dave Semple received nominations for re-election to the NEC.
All three will be standing on a platform which includes:
- Full support for the union's 2019 pay claim of 10% (£2,400 a year cash underpin) and a return to national bargaining on pay and conditions
- Full support for the pay ballot for strike action to support the claim, which takes place 18 March to 29 April
- Union officials to be accountable through periodic election
- All major decisions to be made through the elected lay structures
- Commitment to the removal of all barriers to equality at work, within the union and in society more generally
- Support for the election of a Corbyn-led Labour government, but with the right to support candidates who support us
Before his election as AGS in 2004, Chris Baugh was a leading rank-and-file left activist in the union for many years. He played a direct and major part in democratising the union and fighting the right wing.
Chris has successfully stood three times for re-election as AGS. He stands this time not only on his record as an activist but also on his achievements as AGS. These include green jobs and climate change, challenging discriminatory employment practices and helping to stabilise union finances following Tory attacks on check-off.
Chris is the Left Unity candidate in the AGS election. He faces a challenge from two other candidates, one a member of an ultra-left group and the other a non-Left Unity member and union full-time officer. The 87 nominations for Chris Baugh shows the widespread support he has among the union's lay activists.
They will fight for his re-election and that of the Democracy Alliance NEC slate.
5 Aug NHS pay: 15% for all now
Phone our national office on 020 8988 8777
Locate your nearest Socialist Party branch Text your name and postcode to 07761 818 206
Regional Socialist Party organisers:
Eastern: 079 8202 1969
East Mids: 077 3797 8057
London: 075 4018 9052
North East: 078 4114 4890
North West 079 5437 6096
South West: 077 5979 6478
Southern: 078 3368 1910
Wales: 079 3539 1947
West Mids: 024 7655 5620
Yorkshire: 077 0671 0041