Link to this page: https://www.socialistparty.org.uk/articles/30799
Socialism the podcast: 2018 episodes
The weekly podcast of the Socialist Party. A Marxist approach to the big issues we face in a world of capitalist crisis. Fighting for jobs, homes and public services for all.
From strikes and mass movements through to community campaigns, history and theory. We shine a light on the struggles of workers and young people, and discuss the strategy for a socialist fightback.
Socialism is available on all major podcast platforms. Click the link below to visit and subscribe to Socialism's channel on your podcast service...
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Pocket Casts
Don't forget to subscribe, leave us a five-star review - and donate to help fund the fightback
12. The Gilets Jaunes
19 December 2018
Clare Doyle from the CWI and Socialist Student national chair Theo Sharieff join us to discuss the movement sweeping France, what it symbolises and what we can learn from it here.
- 'France in revolt' by Clare Doyle
- 'France's president backs down in face of mass demonstrations'
- 'Eyewitness - French protesters seize streets against President Macron'
- 'France 1968 - Month of Revolution' by Clare Doyle at leftbooks.co.uk
11. Tory Brexit chaos
12 December 2018
We discuss with Hannah Sell following Theresa May being forced to abandon the planned parliamentary vote on her Brexit plan, and the initiation of a vote of no confidence in her from within the Tory Party.
- 'Tory chaos reaches fever pitch'
- 'Brexit as a window on our times'
- 'Corbyn and trade union movement urgently need to fight for a general election to kick out the Tories'
- 'For a socialist alternative to the EU - mobilise to kick out the Tories!'
10. Economic crisis - ten years on
3 December 2018
Steve Score from the Socialist Party's national committee discusses the financial crash of 2007-08, its causes and implications.
- '10 years since the financial crash - the socialist answer to capitalist crisis' by Steve Score
- 'Ten years since the crash - what now for the world economy?'
- 'Value, Price and Profit' by Karl Marx at leftbooks.co.uk
9. When revolution ended World War 1
26 November 2018
We speak to Bob Labi from the Committee for a workers' international about why World War 1 ended when it did, and particularly the role of radicalisation and revolution.
- '1918 - revolution ends first world war as international radicalisation shakes the world' by Bob Labi
- '1918 revolution - when workers entered onto the stage of history' by Peter Taaffe
- 'The German Revolution' by Pierre Broue
- 'The First Five Years of the Communist International' volumes one and two by Leon Trotsky at leftbooks.co.uk
- 'Lessons of October' by Leon Trotsky at socialistbooks.co.uk
8 BONUS. Tony Saunois at Socialism 2018
Audio recording of Tony Saunois' introduction to the workshop 'Latin America: lessons for the left in Britain and Europe' at the 'Socialism 2018' event on 11 November
8. Who is Bolsonaro and how did he get elected?
19 November 2018
The secretary of the Committee for a Workers' International, Tony Saunois, talks about the election of the far-right president Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil, what it indicates, and what can be done about it.
- 'Brazil - the resistance begins now'
- 'Brazil - mobilise to defeat Bolsonaro and rebuild the socialist left'
- 'Brazil's new era of polarisation and mass struggles' by Tony Saunois
7 BONUS. Kshama Sawant
16 November 2018
Audio recording of US Seattle city councilmember Kshama Sawant's introduction to the workshop 'Could Trump win in 2020' at the Socialism 2018 event.
7. What is Trumpism?
12 November 2018
We talk to US socialist Bryan Koulouris about the nature and threat of Trumpism.
- 'World relations - open splits at G7 jamboree' by Robert Bechert
- 'Trump, Brexit and politics now' by Hannah Sell
6. What's the big deal about the unions?
5 November 2018
Rob Williams, Socialist Party industrial organiser, talks about the importance of the trade unions, their potential role, and what's necessary to transform them.
- 'Trade unions and the gig economy' by Rob Williams
- On the events of 2011 that Rob refers to
- '1926 general strike - workers taste power' by Peter Taaffe at leftbooks.co.uk
- 'Teamster rebellion' book by Farrell Dobbs at leftbooks.co.uk
- 'Marx and Engels on the trade unions' at leftbooks.co.uk
- 'Unions and Labour - forged in struggle' book review by Rob Williams
5. A socialist view of Brexit
29 October 2018
Clive Heemskerk, the deputy editor of Socialism Today, discusses Brexit, the problems it presents for the capitalist class and what it really means for workers.
- 'People's vote should be a general election'
- 'The fog of Brexit'
- 'Northern Ireland, Brexit and the Border'
- 'Brexit and the left'
- 'Socialists and the EU referendum'
- 'Corbyn's Brexit opportunity'
- 'Tory Brexit divisions, Corbyn's opportunity'
4. Is the far right on the rise?
22 October 2018
Socialist Party executive committee member Paula Mitchell looks at the nature and relative strength of the far right and the populist right today, and how a movement to defeat them can be built.
- 'Understanding the far-right threat' by Hannah Sell
- 'Fascism - what it is and how to fight it' by Leon Trotsky (the pamphlet Paula mentions) at leftbooks.co.uk
- An interview on the campaign against the BNP in Brick Lane
- 'Stephen Lawrence murder - the untold story'
- The trade union motion discussed
3. Antisemitism - what it is and how to fight it
12 October 2018
In light of the smears against Jeremy Corbyn, Judy Beishon, a member of the Socialist Party's executive committee, explains the origins of antisemitism, its nature today and what's necessary to end it.
- 'Antisemitism - what it is an how to fight it' by Judy Beishon, covering many of the issues touched on in the podcast
- 'Antisemitism, Israel-Palestine and the left' by Peter Taaffe
- Leon Trotsky 'On the Jewish Question' at leftbooks.co.uk
- On the protest against the Nationality Law Judy mentions
- On the Israel-Palestine conflict
2. Politics in Britain today
11 October 2018
After the party conferences this autumn, Socialist Party general secretary Peter Taaffe discusses the trends in politics in Britain at the moment - from two parties in one within Labour to the Tories' Brexit crisis.
- 'Consolidating the Corbyn revolution' by Peter Taaffe
- 'Tories' crisis conference - Corbyn must fight for general election'
- 'Labour conference shows - Blairites must be ousted'
- 'The Fog of Brexit'
- 'Liverpool - A City that Dared to Fight' by Tony Mulhearn and Peter Taaffe at leftbooks.co.uk
- 'The Rise of Militant' by Peter Taaffe from leftbooks.co.uk
11 October 2018
Socialist Party deputy general secretary Hannah Sell discusses what we mean by socialism, what the Socialist Party stands for and why we're launching a podcast.
- 'Is this Generation Socialist?' by Hannah Sell
- 'Socialism in the 21st Century' book by Hannah Sell at leftbooks.co.uk
- 'The Communist Manifesto' by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels at leftbooks.co.uk
- 'Trotskyism: what is it?'